Skróty klawiszowe:

rozmiar tekstu: A A A

The Unmissable Places

Strona główna » The Unmissable Places

The ruins of a 14th century castle„Ogrodzieniec" at Podzamcze, erected in the reign of Casimir the Great as a seat of the knight\'s family of Włodkowie Sulimczykowie. The stronghold was perfectly embedded in the area; on the three sides, it is sheltered by high rocks and closed with a stone wall. The entrance runs through a natural rock fissure. The Salomonowicz family - rich Cracowian burghers - bought the castle with the adjacent lands from the Sulim family in 1470. Thereafter, the castle was in the possession of the families of Rzeszowski, Pilecki, Chełmiński, Bonerowie, Mikołaj Ligęza, Firlej, Stanisław Warszycki and Męciński. In the 16th century it belonged to the Boner family who started its conversion into a Renaissance fortress consisting of an extended three-towered top castle and wide approaches; at that time, it was named \'little Wawel castle\'. In 1655, during the so-called Swedish deluge, the castle was conquered by the Swedish army which was stationing there for a two year time and ruined an appreciable part of the structure. In 1702, the army of Charles XII set fire to the stronghold. After that time, the castle fell into ruin and was not rebuilt. Its last owner left it in 1810. After World war Two, the ruins were cleared of rubble, there have been effected some archaeological and conservation works with wall reconstructions, which we can admire now.

The fortified royal town on the Birów Mount at Podzamcze

Some EU funds enabled the reconstruction of that pre-Slavic fortified town, in existence in this area on the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries. A wooden fortress is made of a gated tower with a wall, a watchtower, an observation tower and a hut housing museum exhibits, among other things, archaeological finds from the Birow Mount. Archaeologists have discovered a large number of militaria - spear heads, arrows, bolts, axes, parts of chain mail garments, and others, which has proved that the first settlers are likely to have come there even 30, 000 years ago. The fortified town was consumed in the first half of the 14th century, and in consequence, the defensive function was taken over by the \'Ogrodzieniec castle erected in 1370.

The ruins of the former powder factory

In 1878, the Russian Association of Powder Manufacturers and Sellers, seated in Petersburg, inaugurated a large plant in lieu of another one. The factory was in operation until the encroachment of the Austrian army. In 1914, it was blown up. Today, the ruins of the tsar\'s powder plant can be admired in the heart of the pinewood in Ogrodzieniec (from Dąbrowa Górnicza).

The ruins of the watchtower in Ryczow

A fortified structure, erected atop a 16 m high inselberg, is likely to have been made on the initiative of Casimir the Great as a link in the chain of royal watchtowers which were to guarantee the safety along the southern borderline of Poland. Probably, the immediate reason for building the watchtower was an increasing threat from the Czech area in the early 1400s. The main part of the watchtower was a two- or three-storeyed stone structure. There is every indication that the building was closed and one had to climb it on a rope or walk on a ladder; a wooden bridge might have also been there as well. The entire structure was surrounded by a moat 7-10 m wide and a 1.5 m high wooden and earth embankment in the 15th century the watchtower was abandoned. It is likely to have been blown up, and thereafter fell into ruin. Today, on a huge rock, a tourist can admire some vestiges of stone structure whose base is 10 m x 14 m.

A 18th century church at Ogrodzieniec

A 18th century baroque church, erected by Tomasz Jaklinski in 1787, and consecrated in 1783, is located at the intersection of the two main streets at the centre of Ogrodzieniec. Its inside is decorated with a medley of elements dating back to baroque, Rococo and neo-classicism. Of particular attention is the picture of the Mother with the Child Jesus placed In the side altar. The picture resembles a famous picture Dei Salus Populi Romani from the Santa Maggiore basilica in Rome. In front of the church stands a statue of Virgin Mary (1806) and a monument to John Paul II.

A monumental shrine at Podzamcze

At the Jura Square you will see a small shrine of castle stones. Inside the shrine are placed some effigies from the castle chapel and a Swedish cannon ball which rushed inside, but did not any harm.

The 'St. Virgin of the Rocks' chapel at Podzamcze

In Wojska Polskiego Street is situated a chapel dedicated to St. Virgin of the Rocks, embedded into an inselberg. The chapel houses a historical picture [1862] which had been placed there to commemorate a miraculous appearance; atop the rock is situated an effigy of St Virgin. In 2001, Bishop Adam Śmigielski crowned the picture, and a year later, he raised it to the level of a sanctuary.

A 13th century church at Gieblo

At Gieblo, on a small hill stands a 13th century church dedicated to St James - a Romanesque architecture work; a vestry was added only in 1912. The entire church was renovated In 1934. Inside are three wooden altars. The high and side altars are decorated with columns and pillars.

A nobleman\'s manor at Giebto

At the centre of Giebto, in a park complex, you can see nobleman\'s manor dating back to the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.

  • CZARNY RYCERZ Biuro Organizacji Imprez i Eventów
  • POZIOM 511 Design Hotel & SPA
  • Hotel "Pod Figurą"

Plac Wolności 25, 42-440 Ogrodzieniec

tel.: (32) 67 09 700

  • DSC_0804_resize
  • DSC_0800_resize
  • DSC_0797_resize
  • DSC_0794_resize
  • DSC_0792_resize
  • DSC_0790_resize
Gmina Ogrodzieniec położona jest w woj. śląskim, w centralnym punkcie Jury Krakowsko-Częstochowskiej pomiędzy Krakowem, Częstochową i Katowicami. Leży w granicach Zespołu Parków Krajobrazowych Województwa Śląskiego, a jednocześnie na obszarze Parku Krajobrazowego Orlich Gniazd.
Wypełnij formularz kontaktowy
Wersja mobilna